[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: can't delete Tkinter apps built with bundlebuilder

Russell E Owen owen at astro.washington.edu
Mon Feb 2 14:37:18 EST 2004

At 1:53 PM -0500 2004-02-02, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>On Feb 2, 2004, at 1:12 PM, Russell E. Owen wrote:
>
>>In article <rowen-063A15.17062023012004 at sea.gmane.org>,
>>  "Russell E. Owen" <rowen at cesmail.net> wrote:
>>
>>>  I finally go bundlebuilder working (thanks for all the help). Sigh.
>>>Quite a struggle. I plan to post some docs on what I learned when I get
>>>some time. Unfortunately, I'm still in the learning stage...
>>>
>>>The Tkinter apps I produce, once executed, cannot be deleted until the
>>>Mac is rebooted (simply logging out and logging back in again does NOT
>>>suffice). The Finder's error message is:
>>>
>>>The operation cannot be completed because the item "Python" is in use.
>>
>>I tried a semi_standalone version and that worked around the problem.
>>Since standalones don't work on Jaguar anyway, it will do for now. I
>>have reported this as a bug in bundlebuilder:
>><http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=889200&group_id
>>=5470&atid=105470>
>
>--standalone of a compiled-for-Panther Python will never work on a
>Jaguar because that version of Python itself is not compatible with
>Jaguar.  On top of that, the way things are linked (and especially
>where they install and look for extensions) makes it pretty easy to
>cause version mismatch problems if you have both versions on your
>computer because they are effectively not binary compatible, even
>though they would otherwise be, due to the baked-in dyld path. I
>wouldn't hold my breath, it's not something that can be changed
>because OS X 10.3 is probably stuck at Python 2.3.0 as-compiled
>anyhow, and OS X 10.2 does not support -undefined dynamic_lookup
>anyways.
>
>If
>https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=105470&aid=887242&group_id=5470
>is adopted, then this problem may eventually go away, but not for
>Jaguar.

Just to be sure we're all on the same page here...the bug I reported
was that my fully standalone app built on MacOS X 10.3 (I probably
forgot to include the version # in the bug report, alas) cannot be
emptied from the trash if it has ever been run.

That bug has nothing to do with Jaguar. The only connection is at all
is that one reason I wanted a fully standalone app is the vain hope
it might run on Jaguar.

Having said that....do you know if this issue of a fully standalone
app built on one major version of MacOS X not working on another
major release will continue to be an issue? Or is Jaguar a special
case?

-- Russell