[Pythonmac-SIG] Upgrading /usr/bin/python to 2.3.1?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Feb 6 15:41:50 EST 2004

On Feb 6, 2004, at 3:29 PM, Bill Janssen wrote:

> I've got a software package (gamera.sf.net) that claims to need 2.3.1
> on MacOS.  However, the python in /usr/bin/python is 2.3.0.
>
> 1.  Can it be upgraded?

You can install another Python somewhere else.. but you shouldn't try
and upgrade any vendor provided software yourself.

> 2.  If not, can it be moved out of the way (/usr/libexec/ or
>     whatever), and can I install a newer version in /usr/bin/?

What's with /usr/bin?  You shouldn't touch the 2.3.0 installation.
Change your PATH or the software to use another interpreter.

> 3.  Is Apple going to upgrade it with Software Upgrade?

I'd say that's highly unlikely, unless 10.4 is a free update ;)

BTW: do they say specifically why they want 2.3.1?  I know there are a
few bugs in the interpreter at 2.3.0, but I haven't seen any come up
myself... if it's just a standard library change, there is a workaround
to upgrading.