[Pythonmac-SIG] Upgrading /usr/bin/python to 2.3.1?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Tue Feb 10 08:34:41 EST 2004

On 9-feb-04, at 20:25, Bob Ippolito wrote:
> 1) Your bundle is broken, you forgot to link something and have more
> undefined symbols than you should.. easy to figure out by importing it
> from the interpreter or linking it with -framework Python instead of
> -undefined dynamic_lookup.

This is the situation I'm worried about (and the same goes for Ronald,
I think). You forget to link against a library at build time, and
because you're using -undefined dynamic_lookup you are not getting any
errors. Only at runtime will you suddenly get the error.

To answer the questions of Bill and Chris: the situation with Bob's
mods is very similar to the situation on other unixen. However, I think
that dynamic linking is one of the areas where both MacOS (8 and later)
and even Windows have a much better design than Unix: the binding from
undefined symbols to specific symbols defined in specific libraries is
done at link time.

But, as they say, practicality beats purity...
Goldman