[Pythonmac-SIG] Beginner's query: Path configuration in OS X 10.3

Jeffrey Dean jeffrey.dean at stingrayoffice.com
Thu Feb 12 14:54:41 EST 2004

I'm just getting started, aiming to learn Python for use in scripting
FontLab for typeface design. I'm using Lutz & Ascher, _Learning Python_, 2nd
edn (O'Reilly 2004), which I'm finding really helpful. But I've hit a snag
very close to the beginning. I have no doubt there's an obvious solution to
my problem, but I haven't found it yet.

I'm running Python 2.3 in Mac OS X 10.3.2 (I've installed Jack's addons for
Panther), so Python is located in /System/Library/Frameworks. I can't write
files to that directory, so I've put my exercise modules in
/Users/Myname/Documents/Python. How the heck do I get Python to look there
for modules to import them? Or, alternatively, where should I be saving the
files so Python can find them? I've read the documentation about PYTHONPATH
and .pth files, but I can't work out how to use them in OS X 10.3. My Unix
ability is very rudimentary.

TIA,
Jeff