[Pythonmac-SIG] Beginner's query: Path configuration in OS X 10.3

kevin kevin at macosx.com
Thu Feb 12 22:58:59 EST 2004

seems like a big source of confusion. I always forget this too and am
hoping that this makes it into the FAQ as the FAQ seems to be filled
with stuff for folks who are powerusers and precious little for folks
who are just setting out.

It seems that we need super clear entries for:

1. setting python up so that it you can execute scripts form the
terminal (setting your path) (both Jag and Panther)

2. setting up python so that it knows where to look for imports (is
this now the same thing? or is this setenv PYTHONPATH???)

3. When, why, and how one would need to set the
~/.MacOSX/environment.plist file

If i was clear on this and knew how to do it on both Peanut-butter
(10.3) & Jelly (10.2), i'd do it.... (-_-), but alas...

I know that on 10.2 setting up all my ~/Library/init/tcsh files :

aliases.mine
completions.mine
environment.mine
path
rc.mine

was a bit of an adventure as this was changed in the jump from 10.1 to
10.2, now of course Panther has bash as its shell.

It seems like lots of folks are moving over from OS 9, windoze, and
other UNIX platforms so maybe this would ease their pain.

-kp--