[Pythonmac-SIG] Python Palm hotsync software?

hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Fri Feb 13 14:48:18 EST 2004

On 13.02.2004, at 19:25, Wayne Folta wrote:

> To be honest, I would even consider switching to a Linux-based PDA. I
> definitely, totally depend on one.

You are not alone...

I have an old Palm III that I am still happy with, with two exceptions:
so much dust has accumulated under the top screen layer that it has
become hard to read, and I can't connect it to my iBook, the USB
adapter is no longer available. I tried a non-Palm USB to serial
adapter, but without success.

Then I also have a Zaurus (5500), which I carry around as a
mini-laptop, but never used as a PDA. There is no decent sync solution
for any desktop I'd care to use, and its USB hardware is so notoriously
unreliable that syncing would be a pain anyway. For file transfers I
use CompactFlash cards. The Zaurus PIM software isn't so great either,
compared to Palm.

What I'd love to have (but don't have the time to write) is a set of
Python PIM software that runs both on the desktop and on the Zaurus,
with syncing of course. PyQt would make it sufficiently portable on the
desktop side.

> Yeah, Palm are software idiots. I mean OS5 is so stinkingly primitive
> compared to the Newton.  External and built-in memory are treated
> totally

Oh, right, I have a Newton as well. Model 120. Very elegant, very
useless. Much too big, to start with.

Konrad.