[Pythonmac-SIG] Menus from pyobjc

Dethe Elza delza at blastradius.com
Fri Feb 13 15:12:25 EST 2004

Hi folks,

I'm working on a demo app using PyObjC for the UI, but without using a
.nib file.  I'm running it using pythonw and mostly it works OK, but
I'm having trouble with menus.  It defaults to a Python menu, but when
I query the app.mainMenu() it reports None, when I use
app.setMainMenu_(mymenu) at only the Python menu shows up.

Further symptoms:

* When I click on the menubar my new menus (submenus of mymenu) show
up, but are disabled, even if I explicitly enable them or provide
appropriate targets/actions.
* Even though I've set the main menu, the Python menu still shows up,
but is empty.

Any suggestions?  I can provide some example code, but it's kind of
jumbled right now.

If you're wondering what the point is, I'm hoping to work towards
something like Renaissance/XUL (i.e., driving the UI from XML rather
than from .nibs).  At this point I'm just trying to pull together a
proof-of-concept to see if it can be done.

TIA!

--Dethe

"And you think you're so clever and classless and free"
— John Lennon on prototype-based programming