[Pythonmac-SIG] SciPy, atlas and weave on 10.3

Bill Spotz wfspotz at sandia.gov
Fri Feb 13 17:51:43 EST 2004

I'm running in to a string of problems preventing me from successfully
upgrading from 10.2 to 10.3.  Under 10.2, I had installed scipy via
fink and was using weave in one of my projects.  Under 10.3, scipy is
not yet available under fink, but others had reported being able to
install it manually, so I decided to give it a try.

I was unable to figure out how to get around the atlas requirement and
use "-framework veclib" instead.  Does anybody know if this is
possible?

Trying to install atlas via fink, the build process gets to the
following point:

cc -o xconfig config.c
./xconfig

where it then appears to do nothing.  Activity Monitor shows that
xconfig takes up virtually no CPU, and it just sits indefinitely.  Has
anyone else seen this problem or know of a fix?

Since I only needed weave, I decided to temporarily give up on scipy
and just install weave.  I downloaded weave-0.2.3 from the scipy web
site and tried to build it.  In addition to a bunch of
reasonable-looking distutils output, I get the following when I build:

dep: ['scipy_distutils', 'scipy_test']
/sw/lib/python2.3/distutils/dist.py:213: UserWarning: 'licence'
distribution option is deprecated; use 'license'
   warnings.warn(msg)
package init file '.../weave-0.2.3/weave/tests/__init__.py' not found
(or not a regular file)

If I go ahead and install it anyway, and try to use the blitz type
converters in my project, I get:

File "something.py", line 268, in computeResidualVector
     type_converters = weave.converters.blitz)
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'converters'

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

** Bill Spotz                                              **
** Sandia National Laboratories  Voice: (505)845-0170      **
** P.O. Box 5800                 Fax:   (505)284-5451      **
** Albuquerque, NM 87185-0316    Email: wfspotz at sandia.gov **