[Pythonmac-SIG] Extracting frames from Quicktime movies?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Feb 19 04:38:38 EST 2004

On Feb 19, 2004, at 4:15 AM, Dinu Gherman wrote:

> Jack Jansen:
>
>> Jack steps out of Guido's time machine, and points Dinu at
>> plat-mac/videoreader.py in any 2.3 distribution.
>
> Heck... After sniffing into it I get basically this show-stopper
> code (used in videoreader.py):
>
>   >>> path = "mymovie.mov"
>   >>> from Carbon import QuickTime
>   >>> fd = Qt.OpenMovieFile(path, 0)Traceback (most recent call last):
>     File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>   MacOS.Error: (-2020, 'movieToolboxUninitialized')
>
> I'm using a vanilla Python 2.3.3 configure/make build. Is it
> a framework build that would help?

You're going to need to read and understand the QuickTime C API.  Apple
has lots of examples, but I think you need to download the QuickTime
SDK separately from Xcode to get them.  bgen wrappers don't do much for
you above and beyond that, and none of this stuff has specific
documentation for Python.

In any case, you need Qt.EnterMovies() to happen before you call into
the QuickTime API.  You might end up needing to use a framework build
(or at least something similarly bundleriffic) at some point, but that
isn't your problem (yet).