[Pythonmac-SIG] Using IDLE to run Tkinter programs in OS X?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Feb 23 20:50:56 EST 2004

On Feb 23, 2004, at 8:24 PM, Kenneth McDonald wrote:

> Is there any way to have IDLE use pythonw, rather python, when it runs
> modules, so that I don't get the -606 error when working on programs
> that use Tkinter?
>
> Also, I'm curious if the "OS X look" in Aqua Tcl/Tk is a result of a
> "themable" ability in Tk, or is a special case thing for OS X only. I
> haven't used Tk for a number of years, and at the time, it had only
> one "look".

The fact that it uses native widgets everywhere, and has so many bugs,
is a TclTkAqua only feature.  Pretty much everyone I've heard from is
so disappointed with TclTkAqua that they ported to another framework,
or ended up compiling their own Python and X11 based Tcl/Tk.

That said, I'm not familiar enough with the IDLE source code to even
guess where to look.. I would grep it for sys.executable and see what
sys.executable is at runtime of your module.  It should point somewhere
in an .app bundle.