[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: [pygame] python + pygame on OSX

Ronald Oussoren oussoren at cistron.nl
Tue Feb 24 16:52:37 EST 2004

On 24-feb-04, at 19:14, Keith Nemitz wrote:

>> In any case, it is an extremely bad idea to write to the application
>> bundle, and that may have something to do with your trouble.  The
>> appropriate place for writing files would most likely be
>> "/Library/Application Support/YourApplication" or
>> "~/Library/Application Support/YourApplication", unless they are
>> plist preferences..
>>

> I think it would be an extremely good idea to allow an app to be able
> to write to itself.

Writing to the application is a bad idea, on Linux/Unix, OSX and some
flavors of Windows the application will only be writeable by
administrative accounts. Anyone that manages a sizeable amount of
desktops gets very nervous when ordinary users can modify applications,
even for single user desktops.

Modifying the application also makes it harder to support multiple
users on a machine (shared preferences).

Ronald
--
X|support bv            http://www.xsupport.nl/
T:  +31 610271479       F:  +31 204416173