[Pythonmac-SIG] Tkinter questions

Kenneth McDonald kmmcdonald at wisc.edu
Thu Feb 26 18:43:48 EST 2004

I've been told that that Aqua version of Tck/Tk is rather buggy; so, I
would like to have the X11 version installed also, so that if I run
into problems, I can check to see if they are related to AquaTk or not.
Is there a set of instructions for doing this and avoiding pitfalls?

Also, more generally, is there a good mailing list for Tkinter
questions? I haven't seen one in the list on the Python web site.

Finally, I'll ask a quick Tkinter question here, even though it's not
the right place, because it's really got me hung up on my
project--sorry. I'm subclassing the Text widget, and want to override
the default keybindings; however, I don't actually want to change the
keybindings for Text widgets as a whole. My problem is that when I bind
a keystroke to a function in my subclass, the binding operated
correctly, but the keystroke is then passed up along the event chain,
and the default Text action is also executed. Looking through the Tcl
documentation, I see there's a command (break--I think?) which is
specifically for breaking off the default event handling so this does
not occur, but I have no idea how to call this through Tkinter, or if
it is even possible. Anyone know? Any other suggestions as to how to
accomplish this? I did try to unbind the event on my text widget before
rebinding it, but that doesn't work--my understanding is that the
default bindings are associated with the Tk Text class, not instances,
so unbinding them would affect all text widgets.

Thanks, and I promise not to post another Tkinter question here.

Ken McDonald