[Pythonmac-SIG] question about Carbon.AE and AppleEvents

Daniel Greenblatt dan at cgl.ucsf.edu
Fri Feb 27 18:53:14 EST 2004

Hello all -

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm all Googled out and have
nothing working to show for it.....

I'm working on a application (written in Python, packaged as a proper
.app) that runs on OS X under X11 and I
would like it to respond to AppleEvents (i.e. opening up its registered
file types).

I got as far as to find the Carbon.AE and associated modules, and write a
bit of code which supposedly installs 'odoc' AE handlers, but with no
luck. So I had a couple questions I was hoping someone would be able to
help me with....

1 - Is there any way to track what AppleEvents an application is sending
and/or receiving?
2 - Does using Tkinter and X11 cause any interference in the AppleEvent
handling mechanisms? I.e. do the events ever get to the Python layer?
3 - Can anyone point me to some [preferably working!] sample code that
installs event handlers, etc...

Thanks,
Dan

Daniel Greenblatt