[Pythonmac-SIG] PackMan engine version 0.4

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Sat Feb 28 17:10:10 EST 2004

Folks,
I've started on a new version of pimp, the engine underlying Package
Manager. The main thing I want to fix is how the default database is
located: currently the databases are for specific versions of the
darwin kernel, i.e. OSX 10.3, 10.3.1 and 10.3.2 all get a different
database. I'm going to put in a fallback scheme where it first tries a
database for the specific OS version, if that fails it tries a more
general one, etc. The other thing I want to fix is to differentiate
between Apple-installed MacPython on Panther and user-installed
MacPython on Panther (which will use the same database as MacPython on
Jaguar).

I'm not going to do a complete overhaul of pimp, but if there are
low-level features you would like to see included: now is the time to
ask for them and I'll see if I can include them.
Goldman