[Pythonmac-SIG] PackMan engine version 0.4

Kevin Ollivier kevino at tulane.edu
Sat Feb 28 18:16:42 EST 2004

Hi Jack,

On Feb 28, 2004, at 2:10 PM, Jack Jansen wrote:

> Folks,
> I've started on a new version of pimp, the engine underlying Package
> Manager. The main thing I want to fix is how the default database is
> located: currently the databases are for specific versions of the
> darwin kernel, i.e. OSX 10.3, 10.3.1 and 10.3.2 all get a different
> database. I'm going to put in a fallback scheme where it first tries a
> database for the specific OS version, if that fails it tries a more
> general one, etc. The other thing I want to fix is to differentiate
> between Apple-installed MacPython on Panther and user-installed
> MacPython on Panther (which will use the same database as MacPython on
> Jaguar).
>
> I'm not going to do a complete overhaul of pimp, but if there are
> low-level features you would like to see included: now is the time to
> ask for them and I'll see if I can include them.

Since you're asking... <G> A version of the UnZip handler implemented
in pure Python would be very nice - it's the only thing that keeps
PackMan on Windows from being possible. (I know, I said I would do this
eventually but haven't had time...) If you don't have time for this, I
will get to it eventually, but probably not for a while unfortunately.

Thanks,

Kevin