[Pythonmac-SIG] PackMan engine version 0.4

Ronald Oussoren oussoren at cistron.nl
Sun Feb 29 01:40:04 EST 2004

On 28-feb-04, at 23:10, Jack Jansen wrote:

> Folks,
> I've started on a new version of pimp, the engine underlying Package
> Manager. The main thing I want to fix is how the default database is
> located: currently the databases are for specific versions of the
> darwin kernel, i.e. OSX 10.3, 10.3.1 and 10.3.2 all get a different
> database. I'm going to put in a fallback scheme where it first tries a
> database for the specific OS version, if that fails it tries a more
> general one, etc.
Another way to fix this is introducing a new layer of indirection: have
a file that maps the os description onto the real packman URL. This
solution would also be useable for 3th-party package manager databases.

> I'm not going to do a complete overhaul of pimp, but if there are
> low-level features you would like to see included: now is the time to
> ask for them and I'll see if I can include them.

Jack,

Having a size field in the database would be nice to determine if it is
feaseable (sp?) to download a package.

Some things I ran into while hacking on a Cocoa version of
PackageManager.app: The _description, and _maintainer fields of
PimpDatabase do not have accessors. There also doesn't seem to be a
documented way for getting the main URL of a database. And finally,
there is no method to ask if a package is hidden.

And a possible bug in pimp: PimpInstaller.prepareInstall returns the
packages that will be installed in the right installation order (the
order that installs all dependencies for a package before installing
the package itself), but PimpInstaller.install seems to install them in
the reverse order. I haven't fully investigated this, but one bug in my
app went away when I reversed the order of the package list returned by
prepareInstall before calling install.

Ronald
--
X|support bv            http://www.xsupport.nl/
T:  +31 610271479       F:  +31 204416173