[Pythonmac-SIG] Building 2.3.3 on 10.2 from source

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Fri Jan 2 15:54:38 EST 2004

On 2-jan-04, at 21:27, Pascal Oberndoerfer wrote:

> I tried to build and install Python 2.3.3 as a Framework
> on MacOS X 10.2.8 from source. Starting with the usual
> './configure --enable-framework' I saw this unexpected line:
>
> > checking LINKCC... ld: Undefined symbols:
> > ___gxx_personality_v0
> > $(PURIFY) $(CXX)

Strange... Could it be you have a second copy of the gcc and friends
installed (maybe through fink?) and are picking up some of that? Or any
funny environment variables that somehow cause the linker and/or gcc to
behave funny?

To test things like this I have an extra user on my system (short name:
luser; long name: Bill Gates:-) who has no special permissions, no
funny .profile, etc.

> The following 'make' and 'make test' went fine.
>
> The 'make frameworkinstall' first gave me this SyntaxError:

> > Compiling
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-
> packages/__init__.py ...
> >   File
> "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-
> packages/__init__.py", line 118
> >     class site-packages(Standard_Suite_Events,
> >               ^
> > SyntaxError: invalid syntax

This looks like you made a mistake with gensuitemodule at some point in
the past, and dropped the OSA suite for some application straight in
site-packages (in stead of one directory below). Your best bet is to
completely clean out /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework and redo the
"make frameworkinstall".
Goldman