[Pythonmac-SIG] building extensions for 2.3 (darwin build), and UUID generation

Paul Miller paul at fxtech.com
Fri Jan 2 17:23:05 EST 2004

>>Using Jack's hint, I got your module to compile, link and run! I think. I
>>have no idea what genguid is supposed to do. It does this:
>
>Cool, but why is it even C++?  The equivalent C code wouldn't have
>::namespace ::garbage all over it (actually that's all it should change
>other than the file's extension).

Not to start a language war here, but it's in C++ because I firmly believe
that C++ is "a better C". I like being able to declare my variables at
their point of first use, which is why that PARTICULAR code is in C++,
trivial as it is. I don't write anything in plain C anymore.

>genguid is supposed to create a new Globally Unique IDentifier.. typically
>a GUID generator will use your system's MAC address,

That extension module is needed for an AAF I/O system I am responsible for.
AAF "objects" are tagged with UUIDs.

Thanks again for both of your help!

Alas, I thought this was the last hurdle to getting my code working, but it
is not. We are using 4Suite for the XML Domlette stuff and unfortunately it
doesn't seem to like Panther's Python. I can't get it to build. :-(

If anyone has done this, I'd love to hear how you did it!