[Pythonmac-SIG] Distributing Python applications for the Mac

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Mon Jan 5 05:57:18 EST 2004

On 05.01.2004, at 00:01, Jack Jansen wrote:

> What I think the best solution would be is to first package your
> application with everything it needs. Bundlebuilder is the tool you
> want to look at for this, it packages everything up into a single
> ".app" bundle, which looks like one file to the end user. There's one
> slight

Thanks, that sounds like what I want!

> problem: if you want your applications to run on both 10.2 and 10.3
> you will have to create it on 10.2 right now. Create the application
> with --standalone, and it will include everything it needs, including
> all the bits of Python that you use. If 10.3 only is good enough:
> create the application on 10.3 and *don't* use --standalone, and it
> will use the standard MacPython that Apple supplies. The app will be
> quite a bit smaller too. You can create 10.2-compatible apps on 10.3,
> but it is a bit difficult right now.

I guess I'll go for 10.3 only then and tell the others to use Fink.
Perhaps I could ask Apple for subsidies for that approach ;-)

> Even if your applications are programs to be run from a Terminal
> window I think I would use bundlebuilder, after hacking the bootstrap
> script that it uses to run Python in a Terminal window in stead of
> directly.

The applications use Tk, and the users I have in mind at the moment
don't even know what Python is.

Will those bundles include Tk as well?

Konrad.