[Pythonmac-SIG] Distributing Python applications for the Mac

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Jan 5 13:30:05 EST 2004

Konrad Hinsen wrote:
> because
>    automatic installation from source code doesn't work due to the header
>    file installation problems (all my C modules are based on NumPy).

What's the problem? while the headers are not included in the binary
install of Numeric, they are included in the source install (aren't
they? -- they used to be, and certainly should be). If your users
install both eh source and binary Numeric packages, they should get the
headers and not have to compile Numeric. The only downside is that they
might get scared away by the "source" concept, and they'll have a bunch
of extra code lying around that they don't need.

By the way, IIRC, Jack had a good reason to not include the headers as
part of the binary package, but I don't' recall what it is.. personally,
I'd like to see that. I have no particular desire to compile Numeric for
myself, but I do need to compile against the headers, and I think that's
a pretty common use case for Numeric. The general argument is that if
you are compiling custom extensions, you know enough to compile Numeric,
but with distutils, it is so easy to compile extensions, I'm not sure
that logic holds anymore.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov