[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: hi, everybody!

Jason Petrone jpetrone at cnri.reston.va.us
Mon Jan 5 15:35:53 EST 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 12:49:08PM +0100, Alex Martelli wrote:
> Hi there, folks -- I just joined this mailing list.  I'm quite experienced
> with Python (and other programming languages and technologies, and
> Unix-y systems in general, including BSD dialects), but a total newbie
> to the Mac, having just bought my very first ever for Christmas (12" iBook
> G4 -- I think I've installed all current SW and upgrades, incl. OSX 10.3.2,
> the latest Apple developer tools, fink, Apple's X11 1.0, TclTkAqua,
> MacPython and everything in the standard package db, etc, etc).  I'm
> slowly starting to learn about the dazzling arrays of new-to-me
> technologies.  Can anybody suggests a good tutorial/with/examples
> for me to learn to use Python for OSA/AppleScript tasks?  I'd rather
> learn as little as possible about AppleScript itself as a language, but
> I assume I'll have to learn & understand at least something about
> "AppleEvents" and the like.  Thanks!

I understand your apprehension about learning AppleScript, and maybe as
a Python luminary that makes sense for you.  But for me, learning at
least a little AppleScript was vital, because it was too difficult to
figure out what to do in Python just from looking at AppleScript
dictionaries and example code.

Aside from Apple's docs, I really like this site(at my alma mater no
less):
  http://wilbur.acm.uiuc.edu/afs/sig/macwarriors/www/applescript/

jason