[Pythonmac-SIG] hi, everybody!

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 6 12:21:58 EST 2004

On Jan 5, 2004, at 1:58 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
> Welcome to the community, Alex.  It's good to see that yet another
> large contributor to the Python (and PyPy) community has been tempted
> ;)

Thanks!

> There's (no less than) four ways to do OSA/AppleScript tasks via Python

Excellent and very useful presentation of the issues -- thanks again
(also for putting it in the FAQs)!

> In addition to the standard PackageManager database (maintained by
> Jack), there is a separately maintained (by me) "experimental" package
> database at http://undefined.org/python/pimp/ -- which has some
> software that is not in the standard database or has non-standard
> compilation options (such as Numeric compiled against Apple's vecLib,
> which means Altivec acceleration for some operations on that shiny new
> G4).

And MORE thanks -- looks very interesting and I've bookmarked it.

> You should also take a good look at PyObjC ( http://pyobjc.sf.net/ ),
> which is the runtime bridge between Objective C and Python, that lets
> you rather seamlessly take advantage of just about any Objective C
> framework with the convenience of Python.  This means that you can
> write Python applications using Apple's flagship Cocoa UI framework,
> and even use Interface Builder to build the GUIs.

I guess I should gain some passing acquaintance with Objective C for
the purpose...?  I did look at that language many, many years ago, when
Brad Cox's book came out (gosh, that must be TWENTY years ago... oh
my...!!!), but don't really remember all that much about it (it WAS
long ago, and I never really used the language at all, just studied the
book...).  Could you suggest some URL and/or book for the purpose?  Or
shd I just dive right into the "runtime bridge" without needing any
understanding of the language on one side of it...?

Alex