[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: the iBook's irresistible charms

Michael J. Barber mjb at uma.pt
Wed Jan 7 08:34:43 EST 2004

On Wednesday, Jan 7, 2004, at 11:16 Europe/Lisbon, Alex Martelli wrote:

> On Wednesday 07 January 2004 12:19 am, Konrad Hinsen wrote:
>
>> is called VoodooPad (at www.flyingmeat.com). It is best described as a
>> Wiki for local use, but it has some nice extras, one of which being
>> the
>> possibility to execute a page as a script, also in Python.
>>
>> This won't replace an IDE (no way to write modules for example), but I
>> find it great for throw-away scripts that I do want to keep for
>> reference ("What did I do three months ago?"). Keeping the scripts in
>> Wiki-like environment makes it possible to put them together with
>> explanations, other scripts, output, graphics, etc., which I find a
>> lot
>> more attractive that dozens of files with names such as "run2.py" that
>> can easily get lost.
>
> Neat advice, thanks!  And yes, it does sound like a really useful tool.

Check out TextExtras as well at
<http://www.lorax.com/FreeStuff/TextExtras.html>. That should make
VoodooPad even nicer for those throw-away scripts. Essentially, you get
a lot of features you normally only expect in a dedicated text editor
loaded into every Cocoa application -- auto-indent, changing of indent
levels, matching braces, word completions, etc.

Actually, whether you use VoodooPad or not, check out TextExtras!

There are also some rather useful little programs and services at
<http://www.devon-technologies.com/freeware.php>. In particular,
WordService has some useful tools for the Python programmer.

The usual disclaimer: no connection to the programs' authors, just a
satisfied user.

--
Michael