[Pythonmac-SIG] Python C extensions that depend on dynamic libraries

Nicholas Riley njriley at uiuc.edu
Sun Jan 11 19:24:04 EST 2004

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 06:15:08PM -0600, Nicholas Riley wrote:
> I think .bundle is likely to cause more confusion than not; something
> with Python in the name (akin to .pyd on Windows) seems like a much
> better idea, perhaps ".pyext" or ".pymod"?

As Bob Ippolito pointed out, Perl and Ruby use .bundle, but that
doesn't mean we have to; the other advantage of picking our own
extension is that we get to assign a nice icon to it :-) - and it's
generally more user-friendly by showing what it is in the Finder and
so forth.

Note for example that some QuickTime extensions (which use the
Component Manager, but that's rather irrelevant for the moment) end
with the generic .component; others with .qtx.  Apple recommends the
more specific .qtx:

	<http://developer.apple.com/quicktime/qtcdform.html>

That's the closest I could find to a precedent for this.

--
=Nicholas Riley <njriley at uiuc.edu> | <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/njriley>