[Pythonmac-SIG] Python C extensions that depend on dynamic libraries

Nicholas Riley njriley at uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 12 03:56:50 EST 2004

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 03:50:52AM -0500, Bob Ippolito wrote:
> Well, it's pretty obvious they're not folders, so I wouldn't be
> confused.

Sure, but you're hardly typical.

> Just as a semi-but-not-really-serious idea:  I wouldn't complain if
> they *were* folders (CFBundle-type-bundles) on the Mac.  Think about
> it, we could embed the particular version of Python and OS
> compatibility matrix in the Info.plist, throw in some fun external data
> into Resources, put required dylibs/frameworks in Frameworks (and the
> Python runtime could jigger the appropriate dyld incantations to make
> them load properly), use a higher level plugin API then raw dyld,
> whatever.  It's a metadata party, and everyone is invited.

As an optional thing this sounds fine, but flat MH_BUNDLE containers
should be supported for equivalence with every other Python platform.

> >What's wrong with using '.so' as the extention?
>
> .so probably implies MH_DYLIB?  I don't really have a problem with .so.
>  It's ".pyext" that I don't really like.

.so doesn't seem to imply MH_DYLIB, especially given the example of
Apache.  There's no difference between dylibs and bundles under other
OSes, "shared object" doesn't seem to me to connote one or the other.

I don't have a huge problem with .so either, but I'd prefer something
more specific like .pyext.  Why are you against it?

--
=Nicholas Riley <njriley at uiuc.edu> | <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/njriley>