[Pythonmac-SIG] how to delete files which special characters on Mac OS 10.3

Arthur Elsenaar artelse at mohr-i.nl
Mon Jan 12 16:48:03 EST 2004

On Jan 12, 2004, at 21:41, Dr. L. Humbert wrote:

> 'SIIHamm,G\xed\xb6\x86\xed\xbb\xa9chu.a.rtf'
> I wanted to delete those files with the finder (via trash),
> but I had no success.
>     error -43
> Ok, so I decided to open a terminal and tried
>     rm -rf *
> in the directory, where those files "live".
> But -- it did'nt work.

I've exactly the same problem with some files containing 'illegal'
characters in the file name. In my case most of these files are in the
german language and contain umlauts. They just sit there and I can't
delete them, I tried most of the ways you describe here, but to no
afail.

Mostly these files were saved by nicotine (pyslsk) on X11, a python
peer-to-peer filesharing app. It clearly is a bug in OS X, but does
anyone know how to get rid of files that are listed, but when you try
deleting them don't exist?

Thanks, Arthur.