[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Handling bad dictionaries

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Thu Jan 15 06:02:40 EST 2004

Jack wrote:

>>Looks like a bug in Safari's dictionary. Script Editor, etc.
>>Typical clueless Cocoa app... grr.
>
>Do AppScripting and aeve have a way to deal with this situation?
>With gensuitemodule it was easy: just hack the module after it was
>generated, but for the new interfaces that won't work.

Note this particular Safari terminology bug only affects appscript's
doc() function, which is annoying but not fatal. There are some
terminology bugs that'll prevent application control due to
appscript's sanity-checking, but this isn't one of them.

As far as terminology bugs go, the answer here is to fix the problem
at source. The best solution is to get the application developer to
sort it out themselves, but you can always hack the application's
terminology resource yourself if you have to. So I don't see any need
to muck up appscript and other IAC bridges with klunky adaptor
mechanisms for this particular problem. Besides, there are plenty
more serious application bugs which can't be hacked or adapted around
- busted terminology is probably the least of our problems.

HTH

has
--
http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/