[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: [Python-Dev] No more releases of MacPython-OS9?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri Jan 16 10:34:55 EST 2004

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004, Jack Jansen wrote:

> I'm a bit surprised at the results: MacPython-OS9 is a *lot* more
> popular than I had thought.... Over the last few months I see about
> 6000 MacPython downloads per month from my site (I didn't check
> versiontracker and such, that'll be a couple hundred more, I guess).
> For december the breakdown is 2000 downloads for 10.2, 2000 downloads
> for 10.3 and 1700 downloads for OS9. The other 300 are various things
> like source and such. 10.2 downloads are slowly declining, 10.3
> downloads increasing.

Then I think you should apply to the PSF for funds for the license (or
ask the PSF to buy the license directly and send the software to you).
Getting the license for one year should allow you to finish the 2.3
line.

(While I appreciate what Guido is saying about finding a sponsor, I
don't think we should hold your license pending that -- spending $500 to
support several thousand people in the Python community is exactly what
the PSF should doing IMO.  At this point, I'd suggest that further
discussion move to the psf-members list.)

One thing you *could* do right now: post a message to c.l.py.a with a