[Pythonmac-SIG] Question: why two PythonLaunchers?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Fri Jan 16 16:32:33 EST 2004

On 16-jan-04, at 19:52, Russell E. Owen wrote:

> I have MacOS X 10.3.2 and have installed the Panther MacPython extras.
>
> In /Applications/MacPython I find two files named PythonLauncher. One
> is
> an alias to
> /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Resources/
> Python
> Launcher.app. The other is an application. Any idea what to do? The
> things I've thought of are:
> - Leave things alone (I don't actually use the launcher anyway)
> - Delete one (obvious, but I have no idea which one to save)
> - Reinstall the MacPython extras from scratch

Interesting...

What has probably happened is that you installed the Panther MacPython
Extra's over an existing Jaguar MacPython installation.

As PythonLauncher is included with 10.3 I don't install a new copy with
the extras installer, I just put in a symlink to the apple-installed
PythonLauncher. I call this symlink "PythonLauncher". Should I call it
"PythonLauncher.app" in stead?

The good news it that it doesn't really matter which one you remove,
but I would suggest the application, as it'll save you a couple of KB
on disk.
Goldman