[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac-Python Vs Apple Python history

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sat Jan 17 06:26:55 EST 2004

On Jan 17, 2004, at 5:59 AM, Mark Asbach wrote:

>> 10.3 includes a framework build of Python 2.3.0 with all the modules
>> that should have been included.  It is missing the GUI tools, so
>> there is an add-ons package that installs these tools (Python IDE,
>> PackageManager, etc.).
>
> Hm. With 10.3 I'm missing a library - but it might be, that I don't
> understand the framework build thing. I'm wondering, if I need to
> build a unixy version of python myself, if I want to embed the
> interpreter into my own projects. At least, my autoconf scripts fail
> to detect an embeddable python install on Panter, while they were
> working well on Jaguar with a custom python install (no
> -frameworkinstall).
>
> "locate libpython" returns nothing, so I'd state, it's not a complete
> install not only regarding the tkinter issue.
>
> In addition to your original question, Paul, I'd be glad if we could
> collect a list of the default installation parts (headers, binaries,
> interpreter library and modules) for OS 9, Jaguar, Panther and the
> default UNIX install. This would help refining my python autoconf
> scripts as well ...

Your autoconf scripts are not detecting it because it's not a
(standard) dylib, it's a framework.  The simplest way to detect a
Python framework is to see if this passes:

	cc foo.c -framework Python

	where foo.c can be just "int main(int argc, char **argv) {}"

Note the difference in linker command (-framework Python as opposed to
-lpython).