[Pythonmac-SIG] setenv PATH & plist xml file settings

John P Speno speno at isc.upenn.edu
Sat Jan 17 19:20:27 EST 2004

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 01:17:45PM -0500, kevin wrote:
> importing. Wasn't there a plist file that had to be created? What was
> this for again?

Do you mean your ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist file? This file can set
enviornment variables for you when you log into the MacOS X windowmanager.
Any application you run which needs them will see those variables you set
there. Setting variables in your dotfiles, e.g. .cshrc, only affects
things you start from the Terminal.

> And wasn't there a template floating around out there
> with the xml to plug in so that you didn't even need to touch that
> plist editor ?

Dunno. I use /usr/bin/vim instead of the plist editor. Here's an example of
the file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist SYSTEM
"file://localhost/System/Library/DTDs/PropertyList.dtd">
<plist version="0.9">
<dict>
        <key>CVS_RSH</key>
        <string>ssh</string>