[Pythonmac-SIG] Beginner: Best Python GUI for Arabic, etc.

Kenneth Beesley beesley at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jan 18 09:57:10 EST 2004

Beginner questions:  Best Python GUI for Arabic, general Unicode I/O

I've just started experimenting with MacPython and am interested
ultimately
in creating GUI apps that allow the input and rendering of Arabic
script (and
Unicode in general).

I have OS X 10.3.2 and so MacPython 2.3.  I just installed the IDE and
package manager from the MacPython page.

At work I may also be using Python on Linux in the near future.

If I understand correctly, the use of PyObjC will result in
platform-specific
applications for Mac, which is probably not ideal for me.  I see that
wxPython and Tkinter are also available on the Mac (any others?)

Question:  Are there other options for developing cross-platform GUIs
with
MacPython, perhaps pyQt  or PyGTK+ v.2.X ???  I don't think that pyQt
runs at all on Macs yet (some problem with libraries), but PyGTK+ v.2.X
might be interesting.

Any advice you could offer would be much appreciated.

Ken Beesley
ken.beesley at xrce.xerox.com
beesley at wanadoo.fr