[Pythonmac-SIG] Installing pychecker

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Jan 28 16:14:31 EST 2004

On Jan 28, 2004, at 3:59 PM, Chris Barker wrote:

> Bob Ippolito wrote:
>>> 2) What is the standard thing to do? Should I add that directory to
>>> my PATH?
>>> Or should I add a hard link called "pychecker" from another
>>> directory that
>
>> Add it to you PATH,
>
> Don't add it to your PATH, that's jsut not the "unix way". If you do
> that, eventually you'll have an absurdly lonbg PATH from all sorts of
> stuff.

Either you have an absurdly long PATH, or an absurdly cluttered
/usr/local/bin.  In any case, I personally use the PATH option because
if it's not Python, it's already in my path elsewhere.. It's just
easier, since I don't have to specify distutils arguments or make
symlinks.

> make a symlink,
>
> Very good idea, this is the standard approach. Don't make a hard link.
> With a sym link, you can upgrade pychecker and the symlink will point
> to the new one, not the old one, as a hard link will do.
>
> or use "python setup.py install
>> --install-scripts=/usr/local/bin"
>
> If this works, it's a good option

It should, haven't tried it.  It's there, according to "python setup.py
--help install".

>> I'm not sure this has even been discussed yet (recently?).  I've
>> actually been thinking about changing the --install-scripts parameter
>> to /usr/local/bin for my PackageManager repository.
>
> I think that's a great idea.
>
> Interestingly enough, on Linux, the pychecker setup.py installs the
> script in usr/local/bin. Someone who understands distutils could
> probably fix this on OS-X very easily.

On every (POSIX?) platform, distutils installs scripts to a default
path of $PREFIX/bin -- in order to get lib and such in the right place
on OS X, $PREFIX is inside the framework.  AFAIK, there is no code in
distutils that has any idea that it's working with this sort of build.