[Pythonmac-SIG] Matlab-like IDE

Carlo Mattoni carlo at jsbach.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 1 18:25:35 EDT 2004

Does anyone have a recommendation for an IDE with matlab-like
functionality?

The ability to interogate/modify the local namespace by issuing commands
(including calls to plotting routines) while stopped in the debugger is
one of the most useful features of matlab and one which I have yet to find
in a mac python IDE.

I have been using pyOXIDE for a while now and like its clean aqua
interface but have missed the interogatory debugging capabilities of
matlab.  Boa Constructor seemed like a promising alternative in this
respect since it has the debugging capabilities I seek and under windoze
seems moderately stable.  Unfortunately I have had minimal luck with Boa
0.2.8 under os x 10.3 with wxPython 2.4 (with 2.5 it doesn't work at all).
It launches but behaves erratically at best (missing buttons, frequent
crashes, inability to edit some files, etc.).

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.