[Pythonmac-SIG] Matlab-like IDE

Carlo Mattoni carlo at jsbach.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 1 18:55:12 EDT 2004

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, gandreas wrote:

> You can also modify the values of the local variables in the debugger
> (and this works for both internally running and externally running
> scripts) but you can't yet execute arbitrary code.  Adding this
> shouldn't be too hard, however.

The ability to execute arbitrary code while stopped in the debugger is
exactly what I am looking for and if you can add it to pyOXIDE relatively
easily that would be tremendous.  Ideally one would have access to a
"python interactive" window whenever the debugger is stopped and be able
to execute commands, look at results, etc. from within that shell.  Then
it would be a simple matter to import one's favorite plotting library and
have the full matlab-like ability to visualize arrays, etc.  I would
contend that for scientific prototyping this is extremely useful
functionality.