[Pythonmac-SIG] Matlab-like IDE

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Fri Jul 2 04:17:24 EDT 2004

On 2-jul-04, at 0:25, Carlo Mattoni wrote:

> Does anyone have a recommendation for an IDE with matlab-like
> functionality?
>
> The ability to interogate/modify the local namespace by issuing
> commands
> (including calls to plotting routines) while stopped in the debugger is
> one of the most useful features of matlab and one which I have yet to
> find
> in a mac python IDE.

This is a serious issue with the current IDE debugger, and one that
I've been aware of ever since I wrote it's predecessor (the IDE
debugger is Just's, but based on mine, AFAIK). Unfortunately I never
got around to fixing this.

I do know what a fix could look like, though. The easiest is adding a
button "Interactive" that would open a new interactive window with the
interpreter in the namespace of the currently selected frame. A better
solution would be to have a drawer that would be an interactive window
(similar to the XCode debugger), and have the drawer and the main
debugger window synchronised (i.e. the debugger variable display would
update as you type commands in the interactive drawer, and the drawer
would somehow show (in the prompt?) when you switch to a different
frame in the debugger window.
Goldman