[Pythonmac-SIG] IDE, IDLE, extras fail on 10.2.8

Barry Schiffman schiffo2000 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 4 07:39:37 EDT 2004

I'd be grateful for some insight into a problem
getting IDLE and the IDE to work. I'm new to the Mac
OS, but have access to a dual G4 running 10.2.8.

I installed Macpython2.3, and then the extras, so that
I now have Apple's python along with Macpython2.3.

None of the extras, IDLE, the IDE, the PackageManager
works. From the finder, they all quit immediately
after starting.

In addition, in hopes of getting Tkinter, I tried to
install Apple's Tk, but the installer tells me the
version requires 10.3 and the owner of the machine
doesn't want to upgrade to 10.3. Is it a matter of
recompiling or is there an older version around?

Anyway, about IDE, the error message in the Console
log was this:

Jul  3 16:24:31 DualG4 WindowServer[5402]: ERROR!
execle(/Applications/MacPython-2.3/PythonIDE.app/Contents/MacOS/PythonIDE)
returned, err=22

And when run with os.system in the interpreter, I get
this:

sh:
/Applications/MacPython-2.3/PythonIDE.app/Contents/MacOS/PythonIDE:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Resources/Python.app/:
bad interpreter: No such file or directory
3225

Barry