[Pythonmac-SIG] Finder Crash, after moving files....

Benjamin Schollnick bscholl1 at rochester.rr.com
Thu Jul 8 13:30:40 CEST 2004

On Jul 6, 2004, at 11:59 AM, has wrote:

> findertools hooks into the Apple Event Manager via aetools, so can't
> be anything related to AppleScript.

Either way, it's now been eliminated... I used the following
Applescript in the Script Editor to test...

tell application "Finder"
	repeat 3000 times -- 6000 moves
		move file "test.jpg" of alias "Macintosh HD:Users:benjamin:test:" to
alias "Macintosh HD:Users:benjamin:test:test2:"
		move file "test.jpg" of alias "Macintosh
HD:Users:benjamin:test:test2:" to alias "Macintosh
HD:Users:benjamin:test:"
	end repeat
end tell

It did seem to slow down the further it got into the repeat loop, but,
it did finish....  Without any problems...

> Suggest you start by narrowing down your code to a simple test script
> that demonstrates the bug in isolation. Then see if you can replicate
> it using AppleScript and appscript. e.g. I'm unable to cause a
> crashing bug with either of the following on OS10.2.8 + MacPython
> 2.3.3:

I did have the same problem with 10.2.8, so something is a little fishy
here...

import time
from findertools import move

for test_count in range(0,3000): # 6000 moves
	move(r'/Users/benjamin/test/test.jpg' ,'/Users/benjamin/test/test2')
	move(r'/Users/benjamin/test/test2/test.jpg', '/Users/benjamin/test/')
	time.sleep (0.5)
	print test_count

Dies at roughly loop count 2157....

This simplistic version eliminates almost everything I can think of
that would be a variable
between systems....  The directory count does not matter (# of files in
directory).....  It's on my
boot drive, etc....

Suggestions to help track this down?

	- Ben