[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: PIL gui with Panther python?

David Eppstein eppstein at ics.uci.edu
Tue Jul 13 23:07:41 CEST 2004

In article <533630C0-D50B-11D8-AD25-000D934FF6B4 at cwi.nl>,
 Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl> wrote:

> On 11 Jul 2004, at 18:10, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
> > PyObjC currently has no support for PIL images.
> >
> > BTW. Why do you have to display PIL images? Cocoa has support for
> > displaying images and transforming them.
>
> But still: it would be good to have an example PyObjC program that does
> the same as the Tkinter-based PIL image viewer. Even if only because
> it'll support any image format for which PIL has support, and other
> Python packages that have a bridge to PIL (such as Numeric).

Another reason for wishing for PIL support in PyObjC, or at least some
means of interoperating between the two: if your program is written in
good MVC style (which the previous version of the one I was working on
very much was not) then, even if the view part is platform-specific
PyObjC Cocoa for that yummy native look'n'feel, it would still be good
to have a more portable model.  So, if the model involves image
processing, portability for Python means doing it in PIL rather than
Cocoa.

--
David Eppstein                      http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/