[Pythonmac-SIG] [FWD] OSABase

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Thu Jun 3 19:09:01 EDT 2004

One for Jack, Bob, Donovan, Ronald, et-al (or anyone else really with
an interest in this stuff;)...

Philip Aker - a hoopy frood who definitely knows where his towel is -
recently posted OSABase, a funky wrapper for bringing OSA goodness to
the many fine languages whose names do not currently begin in 'Apple'
and end in 'Script'. :)

While I'm personally much to thick to really understand this stuff
myself, and suspect it may require a spot of negotiation vis-a-vis
licences to ensure pure plain sailing, I really think it worth one of
MacPython's Primary Brains at least investigating it to see if it's a
viable option for providing MacPython OSA support.

Full OSA component support in MacPython 2.4 would be great to see -
especially if 2.4 will be finding its way into Tiger [do you know if
it will?]. Just imagine having every AppleScripter see MacPython's
name popping up in Script Editor's language menu - instant increase
in exposure and brandname awareness boost. It might also help guilt
Apple into brushing up their Cocoa framework's own OSA support if
they haven't already done so by then; give us decent attachability
support for stuff like Folder Actions, Mail rules, InDesign
(publishing workflow automation could be a great new market for
MacPython once its IAC support is up to snuff), and the rest - even
nicer.

Anyway, here's the link: http://homepage.mac.com/philip_aker/osa/osa.html

Fingers crossed,

has