[Pythonmac-SIG] Pack Man issues on OS X 10.3.4

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Fri Jun 4 14:38:43 EDT 2004

Dinu Gherman wrote:

>And, finally, Pack Man should really really be rewritten in Cocoa, but
>everbody knows that, I guess.

This gives an idea: would DarwinPackages or Fink be viable
alternatives for MacPython package management? This would certainly
save the time and hassle of rewriting and maintaining PackMan if a
standard existing system could be leveraged immediately more or less
for free.

Anyone familiar with OS X-compatible package managers have any
thoughts on this?

Also, this reminds me: I never did get around to filing a feature
request re. PyMod
<http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/PyMod.app.sit>, which
provides a simple GUI frontend for building, installing and
registering distutils-based packages. I've added a comment to '[
779160 ] Enhance PackageManager functionality' feature request on
sourceforge indicating it is available for inclusion in MacPython 2.4
(which, given PM's shortcomings in this area, I'd recommend).

If I should submit a separate feature request as well, can somebody
please let me know.

Thanks,

has
--