[Pythonmac-SIG] Pack Man issues on OS X 10.3.4

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Jun 4 16:04:33 EDT 2004

On Jun 4, 2004, at 3:30 PM, has wrote:

> Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
>>> This gives an idea: would DarwinPackages or Fink be viable
>>> alternatives for MacPython package management? This would certainly
>>> save the time and hassle of rewriting and maintaining PackMan if a
>>> standard existing system could be leveraged immediately more or less
>>> for free.
>>>
>>> Anyone familiar with OS X-compatible package managers have any
>>> thoughts on this?
>>
>> Not possible, Fink and DarwinPorts both use their own version of
>> Python.
>
> I don't mean you should install and use their version of Python (which
> seems a bit of a stupid reinventing-the-wheel exercise), just use them
> to manage third-party packages for MacPython where a straight
> distutils-only approach isn't adequate for the task (which is the
> justification for creating PackMan in the first place, if I understand
> correctly).
>
> Can that be done (or made to work for minimal effort), or are they
> really dumb enough that they can't play properly with anyone else?

It's probably much less work to fix our own stuff than it is to fork
someone else's package management system.  I'm pretty sure that the
software Fink uses isn't license compatible with Python, since it comes
from Debian, so that's a big minus.  If you really think DarwinPorts
would be a good idea, then feel free to do the research... but I don't
think it's "smart" enough to be ripped into pieces and used by us.
Besides, it's written in TCL.

I think your effort would be better spent filing bugs, feature
requests, and PEPs for what we have.  It's definitely not as
fundamentally flawed as you make it out to be.  If you really do
believe it's broken beyond repair, then feel free to start developing
an alternative.