[Pythonmac-SIG] Pack Man issues on OS X 10.3.4

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sat Jun 5 10:30:34 EDT 2004

On Jun 5, 2004, at 5:11 AM, Dinu Gherman wrote:

> Bob Ippolito:
>
>> Mostly speaking from Fink experience, it feels like a different
>> operating system than Darwin because it has a lot of overlap with
>> the base system.
>
> Very true, but one reason for the current mess is that OS X itself
> doesn't provide any *real* packaging/versioning mechanism like those
> by RedHat, Debian, etc. It might be able to do so on the Darwin level,
> but it doesn look like it wants to, does it? Well, I wouldn't really
> expect anything like this from Apple soon, especially on the higher
> application level, or not before OS X 11, or so...

I had heard that they looked at apt early on, but chose not to pursue
anything with it because it's GPL.  I actually expect them to do
something by 10.5, at least in OS X Server, even if it's just
Darwinports.  I don't expect to see anything in 10.4, though there is a
lot of room for enhancing Installer and they may have started to do
that.