[Pythonmac-SIG] Some thoughts on Python and OS X

Jack Nutting jn_list at rebisoft.com
Mon Jun 14 05:34:10 EDT 2004

On Jun 14, 2004, at 10:07 AM, Kenneth McDonald wrote:
> What would really help--for me at least, and perhaps for others--
> is a good document explaining how and why Apple has implemented
> certain structures, how they map to "old" structures. I've looked
> through a number of the OS X books available, and though I can
> find bits and pieces here and there, I've never seen a good,
> coherent overview. For example, I'd love to see a good explanation
> as to why Frameworks exist, why to put things into a framework
> structure rather than placing libraries, binaries, etc. into
> /.../lib, /.../bin, how to deal with Makefiles that don't know about
> frameworks (most of them), and so on.

My short answer to your Frameworks question is: "encapsulation".

You might want to look at some of the documentation on
kernelthread.com.  This page, for instance:

http://kernelthread.com/mac/osx/programming.html

contains some explanation of bundles and frameworks, for instance.
--
// Jack Nutting
// http://www.nuthole.com