[Pythonmac-SIG] Problem Running PythonIDE

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Tue Jun 29 05:49:46 EDT 2004

On 29-jun-04, at 1:52, marmille wrote:
>>   File
>> "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Mac/Tools/IDE/
>> Wapplication.py", line 433, in getnextid
>>     id = self.possibleIDs[0]
>> IndexError: list index out of range
>
> ...which is hopefully a clue to somebody, but way beyond my own meager
> MacPython abilities to diagnose at this point.

Yes, this is a known bug, it will be fixed in the next release. But
luckily there is a workaround too.

The problem is that the IDE recursively creates the "Scripts" menu with
the contents of the files and folders in your scripts folder. If there
are more than 256 of those it will run out of menu entries and crash.

There are two ways you can get this problem, with different fixes:
- if you really have more than 256 scripts in your scripts folder you
need to delete some.
- more often, you've selected a different folder as your scripts folder
(maybe your home folder, or Documents, or something like that) that has
more then 256 files. The solution now is to remove
"~/Library/Preferences/Python/PythonIDE preferences", that should make
the IDE start again.
Goldman