[Pythonmac-SIG] Problem with _tkInter 2.3?

Ronald Oussoren oussoren at cistron.nl
Mon Mar 1 09:16:22 EST 2004

On 1-mrt-04, at 15:05, Philippe de Rochambeau wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have just installed tcltk Aqua 4.8.5 from
> http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/~steffen/tcltk/TclTkAqua/8.4.5.html and
> _tkInter 2.3 using the Package Manager.
>
> When I run the hello.py example in the Extras/tkinter/guido directory,
> a Hello World Window appears correctly, but when I click it, it won't
> come forward and I get the following message:
> "SetFrontProcess failed,-606" in Terminal.
>
> The problem does not seem to come from tcltk Aqua since tcl/tk
> programs run correctly on the command line and come forward correctly
> when clicked on.
>
> Any help with this matter would be much appreciated.

The short answer is that you should use pythonw to start python scripts
with a GUI.

On OSX command-line tools are not suppossed to have a GUI, and GUI
toolkits don't work unless your application is inside an application
bundle. pythonw sets up the right environment before starting a regular
python interpreter.

Ronald