[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: [ANN] PyMacApp - Flexible Executable Stub For Python (v0.2)

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Mar 5 12:31:17 EST 2004

On Mar 5, 2004, at 12:19 PM, Russell E. Owen wrote:

> In article <ECFDEB72-6E2B-11D8-90DC-000A95686CD8 at redivi.com>,
>  Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> wrote:

>> PyMacApp is a Cocoa executable stub for Python that accomplishes the
>> following
>> goals:
>>
>> - A single binary can run on OS X 10.1 or later, with no recompilation
>>    required under any circumstance.  Therefore, bundles can be built
>> on
>> systems
>>    without Xcode and/or the SDKs installed...
>
> Just to confirm or deny...does this mean one can build an application
> bundle on Panther with --standalone, incorporate PyMacApp and get an
> application that works under, say, Jaguar? if so, wow! (If not, might
> you explain the quoted paragraph in different words?)

--standalone with the stock Python 2.3.0 Python that comes with Panther
will NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER WORK ON JAGUAR.  It was compiled against
things that were not available back then.  Period, won't work, ever,
nomatter what.

One could build an application on Panther with a Python 2.3.x that was
*very carefully* built to ensure 10.1+ or 10.2+ compatibility, but
that's beyond the scope of what I'm trying to do right now.  If you had
such a Python environment already, it would work.

> The error reporting sounds like a wonderful thing.
>
> Being 0.2, I assume it's worth testing but not smart to use for
> production code? Or is it the case that *if* the resulting app works
> then it's fine to release it?

If it works, go for it.  BundleBuilder2 will support it relatively soon.