[Pythonmac-SIG] [ann] appscript 0.4.2

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Mon Mar 8 12:46:30 EST 2004

Hi all,

Version 0.4.2 of appscript, my application scripting module for
MacPython, is now available:

<http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/appscript.html>

It's still rough in places, but should be sufficiently solid for most
application scripting tasks. The main change in this release is you
can now script creator code-less applications such as Address Book.

Requires OS 10.2.6+ and MacPython 2.3+. (Installation also requires
the gcc compiler, available with Apple's Developer Tools.)

The following sample scripts are also posted:

- EmailURL
- PrintAddressBookGroups
- iPhotoToHTML
- iTunesAlbumsToHTML
- openFileInTextEdit
- selectAllHTMLFiles
- setArtistAndAlbum

Comments/questions/feedback are much appreciated.

--

Also, a couple of requests for help:

- I'd be very interested in hearing from anyone who uses application
scripting in professional workflows and would like to try Python as a
more robust replacement to the AppleScript language.

- While the high-level code is fairly complete, I could really use
some assistance on lower-level programming tasks (mostly Carbon API
and C related): implementing coercion handlers (particularly between
text and file objects), remote application scripting support, etc.
(Apart from anything, I'd like to spend more time writing the
documentation and less on learning C.;)

Thanks,

has
--