[Pythonmac-SIG] in emacs calling python from a shell buffer doesn't make input/output.

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Wed Mar 10 11:15:58 EST 2004

I think I'd ask this on a general Python forum. Normally, programs are
line-buffered only when stdout is a terminal, and with emacs as the
front-end
it's going to be a pipe.

Either emacs normally uses some magic like "python -u" to force Python
to use
unbuffered output or it creates a pseudoterminal in stead of a pipe to
do the
I/O to the subprocess, and somehow this isn't working for you.

On 5-mrt-04, at 5:32, <halloleo at fusemail.com> wrote:

> hi there
>
> i'm running python 2.3.3 on on my panther imac and at work on
> cygwin-windows.
>
> on both systems, i can create a shell buffer and it works as expected:
> it
> accepts input processes and on RET shows the output in the buffer,
> etc...
>
> however when i call python interactivly in this shell buffer it doesn't
> accept any input and therefore doesn't do any output at all -- until i
> kill
> the shell with C-c C-d: then python processes all the input characters
> have
> typed, writes its output to the buffer and quits. after that the shell
> quits
> obviously as well.
>
> so, python works kind of correct, but the input/output transfer to the
> buffer is not done interactivly.
>
> any clue?
>
> thanks, leo

Goldman