[Pythonmac-SIG] UDP Sockets on OS9 2.3?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Sat Mar 13 18:29:37 EST 2004

On 13 Mar 2004, at 05:14, vze26m98 wrote:

> Hi-
>
> I've got Python 2.3 running on a Pismo in both OS9 and OSX (jaguar).
> (This is two different versions of Python, not the same, or "classic
> mode", or whatever...)
>
> I'm trying to implement an interapplication communication scheme using
> UDP datagrams and have been fiddling with the "Mr. Creosote" source.
>
> In OS9, I can send to the other application from Python, but the
> receive
> routine seems to lock the machine. I get no data packets and can't
> easily get the interpreter to respond to keyboard input.

Inter-machine communication with MacPython-OS9 does not very well,
if at all. The reason for this is a rather complex problem down in the
GUSI
I/O library MacPython-OS9 uses (or, to be completely fair, a problem in
the
way MacPython uses GUSI): there are situations where it effectively
busy-waits.

I'm afraid I won't have time to solve this problem. But if you want to
look
into it yourself (but be warned that it's complex): search the archives
for
this mailing list. Note that you shouldn't search specifically for UDP,
the
problem happens with TCP too. I vaguely remember that it came up
a couple of times when people tried to debug CGI scripts written in
Python
with a browser running on the same machine.
Goldman